close
close
blog

Xavi will leave Barcelona a month after deciding to stay

Xavi and Barcelona separate a month after it was announced that he would continue as coach.

The former Spain international, 44, had announced his intention to leave the club at the end of the season in January before being persuaded to reverse his decision in April.

But in the latest twist to the saga, and just 30 days after the announcement that his contract would expire until 2025, the decision was made to leave the club.

Xavi met on Friday with president Joan Laporta and sports director Deco at the club’s training ground, along with his assistants Óscar Hernández and Sergio Alegre, where it was decided that the match against Sevilla on Sunday, the last match of the season of La Liga, it will be his last. in charge.

A statement from the club said: “Barcelona would like to thank Xavi for his work as a coach, which adds to an unrivaled career as a player and team captain, and wishes him all the luck in the world.”

They added that they will provide details about the new first team structure “in the coming days.”

Former Bayern Munich coach Hansi Flick will replace Xavi and an official announcement is expected next week.


Flick will be confirmed as Xavi’s successor (Alex Grimm/Getty Images)

Flick, 59, won the treble with the Bundesliga club in 2019-20 and has been out of work since being sacked by the German national team in September.

The position at Barça will be the first of his career outside of Germany.

Xavi’s contract was valid until the summer of 2025 and it remains to be seen what happens with the economic cost of the departures of Xavi and his coaching staff as well as their salaries.

A month ago, when his resignation was still valid, Xavi agreed to amortize his salary for the rest of his contract.

The victory over Almería earlier this month was Xavi’s 100th game in charge. Only Pep Guardiola and Luis Enrique have better records with the club in the same number of games.


It was announced that Xavi would stay in April (Lluís Gené/AFP via Getty Images)

Xavi had requested a meeting with Laporta before Sunday’s league match against Rayo Vallecano as speculation grew over his future, but it did not happen.

Before that match, Xavi said that nothing had changed in his position and insisted that he still had the support of Laporta and Deco.

“I can’t add anything new. The club gives me peace of mind,” he stated. “I am left with the same desire to face the rest of this season and the next. “We have a project planned and nothing changes.”

When asked where the noise about his future was coming from, he responded: “I don’t know who’s talking and I don’t care. What matters to me is having the support of the president, who as far as I know remains intact, and of Deco.

“They tell me that nothing has changed. I understand your questions and your work, but that’s what I can say. This is Barcelona, ​​​​there is a lot of noise, I understand it.”

Barcelona are guaranteed second place in La Liga before the curtain comes down on the 2023-24 campaign at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán stadium on Sunday.

(David Ramos/Getty Images)

Related Articles

Back to top button